Saturday, June 29, 2013

Best Friends in the Summer

A big thing here is Vacation Bible School. All the big churches do it during the summer, it's basically a week of summer camp and usually it is free of charge. Bridgett's older sister Abby was going this past week (every morning from 9-12 pm). Well, Bridgett was sad that she couldn't go and her parents were sad that now they had to single-handedly entertain her for hours without the help of an older sister, and I was sad that Willa couldn't play play play with friends every single minute of every day like she would want to. So, we came up with a plan. Two days of the week, I dropped Willa off at Bridgett's house. They played together for a few hours while I got stuff done. Then, two other days they dropped Bridgett off here and they got stuff done and enjoyed being child free.  Oh, and that pesky fifth day? We met at the library for story time. Then, today we went over to their house for water play in the backyard. Wow, we've hung out every day this week... I just realized that.

It's funny, before I had Willa I thought that having kids over to play would be so much more work. In reality, it's so much easier! Your child has a friend to play with so you can actually clean the kitchen without a little shadow hugging your leg and saying, "I wash the dishes, mommy." Though, I have to admit that that is also very cute sometimes.

I was making bread and decided to give each girl a small ball of dough and a little bread pan. You should have seen them slap that dough! It's a good thing that bread dough likes to be handled, I'm sure the gluten really got worked by these two little girls. Bridgett's loaf was actually formed pretty well in the end; Willa's looked like a bunch of clumps piled together. They both looked delicious after rising and baking.


Giving their babies shots and taking their temperatures with a little doctor's kit that I picked up for $1 at a garage sale.

Being blanket monsters for me in the kitchen. Oooo, so scary!
It's fun to see Willa with Bridgett and it reinforces my opinion that children need siblings. Willa would do so many things that she thought were cool (and that Ryan and I would usually praise her for) and Bridgett couldn't have cared less. I have so many memories of wanting to show a sibling something so cool and having them ignore me. You've got to learn that what you're doing usually isn't that great and that you're not the center of attention. Bridgett, however, showed her true colors and I'm not so sure if her big sister is a good influence on her. For example, she pretended to put lipstick on her babies, herself, and on Willa saying, "Lipstick makes me cute!" I told her mom that I wasn't sure if that was a good example for my two year old :). She also told Willa that it wasn't nice to let her dolls be naked, which I also thought was pretty funny. Apparently, there was a three-year-old cousin in California where they just visited who didn't like to wear clothes and they had to have lots of discussions about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment