Friday, May 9, 2014

When to fire the 'fire and nuke the NUK.

I've got two things on my mind. Pacifiers and breastfeeding. I will admit it, Willa is still using a pacifier for sleeping. She's 3 1/2!!! I thought for sure we would get rid of it when she turned two. Then as that date approached, I thought it was  a good comfort for her and decided FOR SURE when she was three. Then, we were moving to Vegas around that time and it really is such a good comfort for her!

I realize that when your child brings you her pacifier and says, "N - U - K, what that spell Mommy?" that it is probably time to get rid of it. Brandon also remarked that once your child can say the word pacifier then they're probably too old for it. I keep putting it off, though. It's so easy and she still naps during the day so it's nice for that. I also strongly believe that children need a little lovey or comfort item. Willa has special things, but nothing quite so special as her pacifier.

Our plan is to give her three days and tell her - in three days we're going to get rid of the pacifiers, then two days, one day, etc. Then, I'm going to take her to Build A Bear. She can pick out a bear and put all her pacifiers inside of the bear when they build him. Then, she can have that at night. I actually think it won't be too bad. I keep meaning to start on it, but I also keep dragging my feet. I've got a feeling that once they're gone, it will be great. But right now, they really don't cause much of a hassle (she leaves them in her room of her own accord when she is done sleeping). Maybe next month :)?

June girl is still nursing. I cut out the nap feedings about two or three weeks ago and it wasn't too bad. She protested a little, but wasn't really hungry and so she could be easily distracted. It's still a habit for me, though, and I still almost go to nurse her every time I get her up. She's still nursing at morning and at night. I think I'll cut the evening feeding next. The thing is, it's not really a big deal to nurse her twice a day, so I'm not really put-out by it. On the other hand, I remember how great it felt when I finally weaned Willa at 15 months. It just feels so good to finally not be pregnant and not be nursing. June turned 14 months on Monday, so I feel like the time is coming. I'm so grateful I've been able to nurse. It's a fine line between letting the baby grow up and still appreciating their babyness.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's not a big deal. I mean, I'm no expert, but if it helps her fall asleep and it's not impeding on the rest of her life, then I say roll with it. I guess there's always the concern of orthodontic issues, but who doesn't get braces these days? Plus, I hear Willa has an in with a pretty great orthodontist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She does have a pretty good orthodontist on call. His opinion is that the fat lady doesn't sing until the permanent teeth are in.

    ReplyDelete