Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Sick sick sicky

A week ago Monday, June had a runny nose, which I thought was probably allergies. Well, it progressed and I thought it was just a minor cold (Willa and I caught it too). June just kept getting worse, though. Each day I thought she'd be a little better and instead there would be a new symptom - goopy eyes, cough, fever, higher fever. On Sunday I decided that if she wasn't better by the next morning, I would take her to the doctor.

Monday dawned with sicky June again so I made an appointment. I decided to schedule it for both girls because I didn't know if Willa was having just a milder version of the virus or if she was just behind a few days. You know when you keep debating doctor's appointments because usually there's nothing they can do and they just tell you to give them Tylenol? This was not that day.

When the nurse came to call us back, we stood up and Willa cried out in pain and grabbed her bladder. Uh oh. I neglected to write about her last UTI two weeks ago (with a different, horrible doctor who called me a LIAR when I called her office to say that CVS had faxed her because they couldn't fill the prescription). I decided to try a new physician's office, but that's another story. Willa grabbed her bladder so I just turned to the nurse and said, "Hey, could we do a urine test while we're at it?" Again, fully expecting nothing to come and to look like a fool at the end.

Okay, long story short. Willa had another horrible UTI. They said her urine was really, really bad :(. Poor thing! I'm so annoyed with the first doctor who promised me that her last UTI wasn't Amoxicillan resistant, because we had just finished up the round of antibiotics last week. Then, June's stuff was just upper respiratory so that was good because it wasn't in her lungs. BUT, she did have a double ear infection and had given herself pink eye! Her eyes weren't actually pink, but they were very goopy. The PA said that if she rubs her hands in her nose and then her eyes that it transfers the virus to her eyes. Anyway, both girls were sick little girls and I got loads of medicine for them and I'm so so glad that I decided to take them into the doctor and that I made an appointment for both of them. Also, we saw this awesome PA who is part of a good physician group. My girls actually didn't scream their heads off for him and he gave them lollipops!

Finally, the point of this post. June's been a little cranky and I've been imagining in my mind what she would be saying if she had words.

"NO NO NO NO, I don't want anything! Give me my pacifier! No, I don't want it, take it away. I'm going to bat your hand until you stop holding that pacifier. Wait, no! I'm going to grab the pacifier now so that I can fling it as hard as I can. I want a banana!!! No, not that banana, get that out of my face. I want a banana!!" (Proceeds to throw offered banana). "I'm hungry! No, not that. No, I don't want that. No No NOOO!!! Give me that so I can throw it and scream really loudly and shake my body and kick. Now I'm going to swat your hand away while I scream and arch my back. No, I don't want that. Yes, I want it! No, I don't! Get it out of my face!"

It's so sad and bad that it's almost funny. I'm just so glad I already took her to the doctor. Mostly she gets in these moods after she has just woken up. I think the Tylenol and Advil have probably worn out of her system during her nap so she's a little on edge and she's a little hungry and she has a little fever. It's almost impossible to get anything inside of her, but once I do she calms down a lot and will take some more medicine. She really loves Honey Bunches of Oats with the milk and she'll calm down enough for a few bites of that. Then, once she's been sated and drugged she's about 70% her happy self again.

That's our drama! Ryan says he was happy that I could spend Mother's Day being a mother, i.e. waking up at 5 a.m. with sick kids :). I made him stay home from church with June. I was teaching Relief Society and I wanted to go to Sacrament meeting to get my prize, which was a full sized Toblerone - yum.

1 comment:

  1. Poor mom. That is exhausting. I hope those sweet little girls are feeling better too! I'm so glad you went to a new doctor! I hate it when medical professionals are mean. It is hard enough when you or your family member are sick.

    ReplyDelete