Thursday, May 1, 2014

What to write, what to write

There was so much to write about, but now I've forgotten most of it. Today, June lost a little toy under the pantry door, so she banged on the door and cried until I opened it. Then, while I was busy getting breakfast things ready, she played in the pantry and pulled down the bag of Tuttie Frutties (Kroger brand Fruit Loops), crawled off with it, and proceeded to shake it and get herself several loops. Breakfast is served!

I've also been on a Spring Cleaning kick. Actually, I've been talking and thinking and reading a lot about it, but not actually getting down to much of the cleaning bit. Earlier this week, I decided to tackle one teensy tiny chore. Instead of focusing on cleaning a kitchen cabinet, I decided to organize my recipe box and the three inch pile of loose-leaf recipes that have been in the same messy pile since we lived in Los Angeles. It was a pile of recipes pulled from magazines, printed off the internet, hurriedly written down on a piece of scratch paper, etc. Every time we would move, I would find this pile of papers and think, "What a mess, but look at these great recipes! Some day I'm going to make this stuff." Well, I decided to set myself a goal to clean that pile up. I sat down, copied recipes onto recipe cards for my recipe box, threw out loads of recipes that I know I won't make, and when I got interrupted, I left the project on the kitchen table. I finished it up during the girls' naptime that day and it feels soooo good. The cupboard and my recipe books and box aren't in pristine condition, but it feels so good to be done with that huge, annoying stack of papers. I'm trying to think of Spring Cleaning as more about organizing and preening down the collections of stuff that we accumulate. There are so many things that need to be gone through that it overwhelms me, but if I break it down to one small task at a time it's much more doable. And here, you see me writing a lot about it, but not actually DOING it. One day, if we ever get this giant EXPEDIT shelving unit organized, it will be a glory to behold instead of a giant eyesore that makes me shudder.

Ryan did purchase something that he has had his eye on for quite some time. The Flip n Fold! He then proceeded to fold all my shirts and our clothing has never looked to organized! I was a skeptic, but I've been won over. We need to get the kids'-sized one now.

June helped me with some cleaning today. As I was in the kitchen she crawled around and emptied a couple of drawers of their content. I grabbed a wet paper towel and decided to wipe them out before putting the stuff back. Spring cleaning!

 Here are some old pictures. About two weeks ago, my sister Carrie and her kids came down for Spring break. They stayed at the fancy Cosmopolitan and took us swimming. Here are some after the swimming photos of tired Willa and June eating a watermelon. It was so much fun to see them!


For some reason, Willa really wanted me to take a picture of her holding this water noodle up to the ceiling.

Hike at Red Rock when my parents were in town. Kind of a dark and distant shot, but the other photo was way unflattering of me so it got nixed by the editor (me).

No comments:

Post a Comment