My last year at BYU I got a beautiful Mac Powerbook for Christmas. I loved this thing, it was so skinny, so clean, so new, so fast! Well, time moves on and five years later it has been struck by lightening, had milk spilled on the keyboard, been dropped multiple times, and endured various and sundry other abuses that come with having a laptop and me as the owner (I don't try to abuse it on purpose, I'm just scattered sometimes).
The final straw was last year when I tripped on the power cord AGAIN, causing it to bend and damage the place where you plug it in AGAIN. Let me repeat, this is like the 2nd or 3rd time that I have tripped on this cord and instilled lasting damage that a computer repair shop charged me lots of moola to fix. (I DID have Applecare, but it had expired by this time).
After doing some internet research (i.e. quick google search) I learned that my precious jewel, one the towering king of computers, was probably worth a measly $150 tops. Certainly not the $200-300 it would take to fix it. With many quiet moments of reflection, I packed it up and put it away until we could figure out what to do with it. Luckily, I had backed up all my files just a few weeks before its demise... or had I?
I got onto my external hard drive a few weeks ago to try and open these files and of course, I uploaded them incorrectly. In fact, all I did was drag the programs and drop them into the external hard drive. Honestly, I'm still not sure what I did wrong or what the correct way to do it was. I think I tried getting help from Ryan at the original back-up but he was busy. Somehow, someway, the back-up didn't work.
Last week, being recently unemployed - Ryan took my precious to the Apple store to see if they had a back-up battery he could snap in for a few minutes of battery life in order to get the files off the computer. Comrade Apple, of course, said he would have to buy a battery. Ryan then went to Frye's Electronics and here is the brilliant part. He got a case to hold an external hard drive and a little screwdriver. Then, he opened up my computer, took out the hard drive, put it in the little case, and bada bing, bada boom - all my old computer files are back and ready to use! We've tried it out and it works great!
Ryan felt very technological and smart. Looking at this photo makes me want to watch Short Circuit.
Testing out new external hard drive, which was my old hard drive! For tech-people, this was probably a no-brainer. For me, a brilliant solution!
It's nice to get a photo of the desk where all of your blog posts come from. Now I have something to visualize next time I'm on here.
ReplyDelete