Willa is seven months old today! She sure learned a lot of new tricks during this last month.
Sitting up all by herself like a big girl! Though, full disclosure - she's still a little wobbly at times and fell over right after I took this picture. Don't you love her hair when she just wakes up?
Posing with the Giraffe - it's still a love/hate relationship. I love the giraffe, she hates it. I wanted to get a cute shot of her with her arm around it, but it didn't quite work.
Little balancing help from dad:
ATTACK!!! More hair is yanked out and the giraffe's pate is becoming more visible:
Happy bed head after nap today!
Grabbing her toes:
I don't have a picture, but I took her swimming yesterday and we tried getting in the water gradually. She did a lot better and no crying! We spent probably an hour in the pool and she even let me float her on her back - definite sign of waterfeel. I was supporting her while she was on her back, but she relaxed enough to lay there, which is more than I can say for a lot of kids. We'll have to do it regularly with her so she doesn't get scared.
For those who don't know, Ryan and Peter used to swim at the USC pool during their lunch break all through law school. One time, a fellow law student from China came with them. After, he told Peter that he had "waterfeel", which we assume means that Peter is a good swimmer or has some sort of mystical connection to the water. Maybe he'll lead us through the post-apocalyptic Waterworld? And that is where the term waterfeel came from. Look for it in the OED next year.
Here are a few other things that Willa has started doing. She LOVES to watch Elmo on Youtube:
Enjoying the jumper a little more. I think the day of headbands is over, I just can't make them look cute on her.
Willa has also reached a milestone with her unswaddling. She finally understands that it's bedtime even though she isn't swaddled and so she has stopped (for the most part) crying to much when we put her down. Sometimes we still use the swaddle for naps, because she sometimes just likes to play instead of sleep. Let me illustrate a naptime from previously this week. I put her down for a nap - she had been up for several hours and was obviously tired. No sleeping, no crying - I went in 20 minutes later to put the pacifier back in her mouth. I went back in 25 minutes later. She was still awake and laying there quietly playing with her toes! As soon as I came in, she started laughing and smiling. She was so smiley and cute! I decided to put her in the swaddle instead and she was asleep in less than a minute! She's just funny like that; she rarely cries in the morning. I just keep checking the baby monitor to see if she is awake and usually she is in there sucking on her pacifier and just waiting for me to come and get her. She has her moments, but overall is such a good baby.
She is a very restless sleeper. When I go in to get her in the morning she's upside down, on her stomach, and sucking a different pacifier than the one I put her to bed with. I try to keep several pacifiers scattered in the crib so that she can grab one easily. Once in a while I'll hear her make some noise in the middle of the night. When I go to check, she is sleepily fumbling a pacifier but as soon as I put it in her mouth she goes right back to sleep.
Willa likes books for reading and not just eating! She has stopped grabbing the pages when I try to read to her and she starts smiling at specific books.
Here is what we got Willa for her seven month birthday! A high chair! We tried giving her some rice cereal tonight. She liked eating from the spoon but got a really nasty look on her face when she tasted the cereal. I don't blame her, if that stuff tastes even remotely like what it smells like then it must be pretty disgusting. Note to self: feed baby before bath next time.
At the doctor's this week Willa was 17 lbs. 7 oz., almost three times the size of her at birth! She's in the 50th percentile for height and weight and 25th still for head. She still sleeps 11+ hours at night and takes two naps and sometimes a third catnap. She struggles taking long naps and likes to get out and play after a 40 minute snooze, but she is learning to go back to sleep since mommy has stopped coming in to get her. Her favorite book is Mirror Me and her second favorite is Brown Bear Brown Bear. She notices if mom is gone and will hold a grudge against dad and not smile at him for several days if he is the one watching her and especially if he tries to feed her a bottle.
Are you bored reading yet? I think that's about it. We sure love our Willa!

Referenced by name in consecutive posts: Excellent! Willa has waterfeel: Excellent!
ReplyDelete