Willa has FINALLY rolled over! All the other nursery moms can stop rubbing it in my face that she hasn't yet! :) Just kidding, no one's made any comments (yet) but it has been a source of inner embarrassment for me.
Unfortunately, I haven't actually witnessed the event. She was in her play yard and I hopped on the computer for a second. Suddenly I heard her start groaning and making sad noises so I looked over and she was on her tummy! I hurried and took some pictures and called Ryan before I moved her back. Then, she did it again! She's occasionally gotten very close to rolling over but really hasn't felt any need. I will hold toys out to the side and she'll look at them but usually find something else to interest her that is closer by. I was dreading the six month appointment because at our last appointment the doctor said, "It's okay if she hasn't rolled over by four months, but we do like to have them rolling by six months."
This morning I even had an idea born out of quiet desperation. Whenever she gets boogers in her nose I will gently put a q-tip up the front of the nostril to grab the booger and pull it out. She hates it and really squirms when I do it; this morning I realized that maybe I could put her on the floor and get her to practice her back arching and other pre-rolling over activities by simply putting a cotton swab up her nose. This would confirm my notion that fear motivates more than joy or fun things. I'm sure I'll be able to experiment more with this principle as the child-rearing continues, stay tuned.
Here she is after the roll - not too happy to be on her tummy. Sometimes we need to learn that after hard work there still comes disappointment.
Not sure how this picture got in here, but I'll show it anyway. She's happily trying to eat an Easter card from one of her grandmas. Eating is very in right now, she loves to munch on Ryan's thumb.
Is she happy that she just rolled over? Eh, I don't think she really knows what's going on or what she did. More likely, she's happy that I have gotten down of the floor to play with her; it's fun being the most exciting thing in my baby's life, it makes me feel so special.
Mid-roll, okay I actually staged this photo. I don't think she really rolled here, but you get the idea. She's only rolled twice and then must have learned that all it got her was more tummy time.
Another staged mid-roll picture, it's fuzzy but she's smiling. I feel badly that her hair isn't cuter today and that she doesn't have any pantalones on. I was giving her some open bottom time to air out that area and had just barely put the diaper back on (she was on a blanket, don't worry).
I feel bad that none of our subsequent offspring will get anywhere near this type of documentation about their little steps. Can I photo shop their faces onto Willa's for each stage and call it good?
oh my gosh, you are hilarious!!! love it!
ReplyDeleteThe key to good parenting is pushing them hard when they're young. (figuratively, of course--although sometimes a little shove onto the stage may be appropriate at times) Never take anything less than perfect or they'll start getting lazy. You hear that Willa?! I expect her to be walking in no less than 3 months.
ReplyDelete:)
Hmm, good advice, Erin. I will let you know how it goes.
ReplyDelete