Willa had her first piano recital a few weeks ago. Her teacher holds one at the end of every school year. It's at small recital hall inside the local music store. Willa played "Firefly" which was a duet, and I got to play with her. Her teacher gives her one small new song a week normally and we also work on a technique book for finger strength. This song was just one that she happened to be learning, but it was cute and sweet and fun to help her "prepare for it." Her teacher helped her practice walking up to the piano and bowing and saying "hippopotamus" while she bowed, which Willa thought was hilarious.
It was a typical student piano recital, nothing too exciting, but I was surprised at how much fun we all had. I've attended or been in about a million recitals in my life, so seeing one through Willa's eyes was refreshing. She was so excited! After she played, she had the biggest smile on her face. As the older kids went up and were a little embarrassed or sheepish, Willa's innocent reaction was all the sweeter. Truly, children teach us to enjoy life and find happiness in so many things.
It's a little hard to see from the video, but look for her big smile after the bow. Everyone thought she was adorable. (Side note, the piano students who have a lesson right before us sometimes as their mom to stay later so that they can see Willa and June come because they think they are so cute.) Willa and I sat up with the students in the front while Ryan and June sat in the back. She was very patient even though it was a bit of a long sit for her and got a little "boring" by the end. Her teacher called them each up to give them participation medals at the end. Of course, Willa was even more excited about this. I hate participation medals and trophies and was slightly annoyed, but Willa could not have been a more grateful and happy recipient. On the ride home she kept asking Ryan and me if she had won. Mean, but principled, parents that we are, we kept saying no and that it wasn't a competition.
I was surprised at how much fun the entire morning had been. Ryan and I were kind of on a high about it the rest of the day. I don't think we were stage parents, but it was a lot of fun going to an activity like this as a family to support a member of our family. We were also proud of Willa for practicing and working hard at piano.
I was blinking through tears by the end of the video. When did I become such a blubbering old lady??
ReplyDeleteYay Willa! What a big accomplishment. I am amazed that a four year old can play so well!
Refused to indulge in your child's ideocentrism? I call that hide-bound dogmatism.
ReplyDelete