We have had a crazy week. I've been getting all our doctor's appointments in before we leave, so on Monday I took Willa to a pediatric ophthalmologist at the children's hospital in Houston. Many of you might remember that as an infant her eyes sometimes looked like this:
Her right eye would turn inwards. I asked the pediatrician about it. She thought that it was most likely because she had a wide bridge between her eyes. It looked like they were rolling in, but really she just needed to grow into her face. Now, at almost three years old I'd like to believe she has grown more into her face. Sometimes her right eye still looked wonky to me. I asked our new and improved pediatrician and he thought that we should take her to the ophthalmologist just in case. He also suggested the children's hospital, which I was 100% for. I want to go to a place that is specifically catered towards children and working with them.
We went on Monday. I was expecting them to look at her eyes and say, "Yep, they look great! She just needs to grow into them more." Instead, the OT thought something was off and they decided to dilate the eyes. This just turned a 15 minute appointment into something much longer. Luckily, since we were at an awesome children's hospital they had a dimmed playroom where we could wait for the 30 minutes for the eyes to dilate. She finally saw the doctor and amid much kicking, screaming, and holding of the eyelids open - the doctor thought that she was farsighted in one eye. Her right eye is farsighted, so when she is trying to focus up close it crosses and goes inward.
We are getting glasses, but the doctor thinks that the eyes will eventually correct themselves if we treat it now. That's the good news. It was a long, tiring day - especially since we missed naptime. On Tuesday, we went to look for glasses and had to go to three different shops thus taking the entire day(long story). BUT, finally I pulled in from the last store on Tuesday night at 6:45 pm with the glasses ordered.
This phone call with the insurance company will typify what my Tuesday was like,
me: "M as in Moon."
Them: "Okay, let me verify, N as in Nancy?"
Grrr !@#@Q#%@##$@!! It was a comedy of errors, Tuesday was.
Then, Wednesday morning I called another shop and ordered her a back-up pair. Then, Wednesday afternoon I took June to the doctor where they gave her FIVE!! shots because they were out of the 3 in 1 shot that they normally do. Finally, Wednesday night Willa started screaming and holding her diaper. Uh oh, not another UTI. She was up late crying until we forced more water in her and made her urinate. I made an appointment for this morning. Then, after much gnashing of teeth, taping a urine bag, crying, screaming, kicking, hitting, empty urine bag, and now a catheter - it turns out that she does not have a UTI, but probably just an irritated vagina. Anyway, that's my week.
The good news, oh the great news, is that I bought our plane tickets! There was about 98% happiness and 2% sadness when I purchased the tickets. Within ten minutes it has transformed into 100% pure, hyperactive happiness. I'm so excited. I'm glad to say good-bye to this place. Smell ya later, Texas!
No comments:
Post a Comment