Monday, September 23, 2013

Breaking Away

Willa loves her trike these days. She can really get going on the open road and it is cute to see her little legs pump those pedals so fast. Her favorite thing is for Ryan to go on a bike ride with her on the old beach cruiser. They take a little loop around the neighborhood.

Saturday and Sunday were our first coolish days. Meaning, it got up to the high 80s, low 90s, but the mornings were cool. This morning is supposed to be in the 60s so we are excited. It's a strange feeling to walk outside and have the weather be pleasant and bearable.

I had the last harp lesson with one of my students on Saturday. The other last lessons will happen this week. I cried a little and it was sad for me. I think I would feel a lot better about leaving if I felt good about the teachers I was leaving them with. Sadly, I'm the only Suzuki harp teacher in Houston and most of my students would like to stay with the method. I have been very disappointed in their students of some of the teachers. We played a Christmas concert last year with other students and you could hardly recognize what pieces they were playing. There was a noticeable difference between the other students and my students. I want to be the kind of teacher that I had - meticulous. My students don't pass off music until it's perfect. So far, they have all thrived, but I have to be pretty strict with them at times. I'm the only teacher on this side of town so now my students will need to drive 45 minutes or more to a new teacher. Considering all the sacrifices students have made to take from my harp teacher ShruDe, that's not a huge deal, but when both parents work and the kids are involved in tons of activities it's hard. Anyway, that's my aside. The reality of moving is setting in and it's happy and sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment