Thursday, May 23, 2013

San Antonio

Back when  my parents were in town, we wanted to take a little trip, so we decided to go to San Antonio and see the Alamo. It is a long enough drive that we thought it would be fun to stay the night with my friend Shalece so that the kiddos wouldn't have to do the 3-4 hours twice in one day.

The drive there was really smooth. We went straight to the Alamo. It was a cool place, but I'll be honest - it's hard to get a lot out of things when you have one toddler who didn't nap because she was so hyper in the car and one six week-old baby in a baby bjorn. It was cool to learn a little Tejas history and see a new city. San Antonio was really pretty and I loved the rolling hills. Definitely a more pleasant landscape than Houston.



After the Alamo we took a boat tour of the river walk, which was really, really pretty. But, nursing in public, on a boat, in the heat, with a blanket covering was really not ideal.

We went to Shalece's house and had a great evening. It was almost the perfect trip until about midnight. It was a warm night and I had put Willa's pack n play in the pantry for her to sleep. She is very good with routine and she went right to bed without crying or a battle (the new environment was a little scary for her) because she had a pack n play with her usual toys and animals. Well, around midnight I was worried that she might be too hot. I wasn't sure how well-ventilated the pantry was. I decided to go check on her and duh duh duh.... she woke up when I opened the door. She was so disoriented from being woken up and also from being in a new place that I knew I couldn't leave her in there. She would have screamed and screamed and been terrified. I brought her to bed with me and since she is such a good CRIB sleeper and has NEVER slept in our bed even if I have wanted her to, she did not sleep for the rest of the night. You read correctly, my two-year old pulled an all-nighter and wanted me to chase her all night. It was miserable. I didn't want her to wake anyone else, I couldn't get her to fall asleep on the bed, and I had June who was just six weeks old. Finally, around 5:30 am she got hungry (who wouldn't after being up all night?). We went downstairs to get her some cheerios. After she ate she started to run around and I pulled her tight on my lap and very sternly told her that it was still night time. Well, after about 30 seconds on my lap she fell asleep (this was now 6 am). My mom walked in the room right then. We decided to just pack everything up right then and head back home to beat traffic. We hadn't planned on any sight-seeing that day, but it was sad to have to leave so quickly - but definitely for the best. We were out the door around 6:30 am and both girls slept the entire car ride home. Though it didn't end perfectly, it was fun and I was glad we went and were adventurous. It's so funny how much more chill you are with the second child. We just carted June along with us. I cannot imagine myself ever doing that with Willa at six weeks. Just a car ride was a major event with me because... she might cry in her carseat or worse - fall asleep and get off her nap schedule, the horror!

No comments:

Post a Comment