I know that I need to post more updates, but I have hardly taken any pictures of baby June to post! We are unfortunately suffering from second-child laziness syndrome which is mainly characterized by not freaking out if the baby is crying and/or deviates from her schedule and being really bad at catching her very sweet face on camera.
June was three weeks yesterday and has the double chin and chubby cheeks to prove it! She is still small, but to me she actually seems quite big. I think I'm unfortunately treating her like she is a month or six weeks old because she just seems so big. I think she is longer than Willa, so maybe that's the issue. At her two week appointment she was measuring 21 inches long, which is two inches longer than when she was born. Did she grow two inches or was there a faulty measurement? I don't really know and it doesn't really matter. It's not worth it to me to conduct my own measurement. She is definitely too big for the premie clothes I brought to the hospital and is stretching out of a lot of newborn things that seemed to fit Willa for much longer. My memory is hazy, though. The beginning with Willa seemed very long, but time now is flying by. The second one is so much easier mentally and physically for me. Is she crying? I'm sure it's okay. Is she latching on? Good enough, just make sure she can take that pacifier! I used to feel so panicked with Willa that I wouldn't know how to calm her, or what to do if I ate something that didn't agree with her, or if we deviated from her babywise schedule. I'm still a little paranoid now, but so much more relaxed. We have a life now and can't freeze everything until June is sleeping through the night and taking three regular naps a day. For now, she'll have to sometimes nap in the car, stroller, or baby bjorn when we are out and about. I'm sure she will survive :).
Willa fascinated with all the baby gear:
Her main form of affection has been to pet June's hair or brush it. She is very good at this and likes to help.
She is most affectionate and cute when I lay June down. She likes to come sit by her and show her toys.
Going in for a kiss.
Chubby cheeks and greasy hair!
Willa has been fine with June the baby, but she has been a little naughty for me and I feel badly that I haven't been as patient as I need to be. Any advice? She is very good until I need to hold or feed June and then she often just starts crying and screaming and sometimes hitting me. Hitting me is a big thing for her right now. I'm not sure if it's best to ignore it (I think she's acting out mainly because of all the changes going on) or just not to tolerate it. I've been trying both methods and neither is succeeding. I don't want her to think it's okay to hit, so sometimes she goes straight to time-out after the first hit. But then, I don't like her to be in time-out several times a day, AND I'm not at my best either so sometimes instead of calmly disciplining, I put her in time-out with a lot of anger on my end. Advice on being a more patient and loving mother? I spend a lot of one-on-one time while June is sleeping, and even when she is awake I sit on the floor and hold her while I play with Willa. The good thing is that in a few years she won't remember being so displaced.
I did want to add this two-week photo of June. Look at those high-water sleepers - is there a flood around here?
Oh my goodness. . .those are darling pictures. Love your cute girls!
ReplyDeleteHer hair is awesome! I love the super soft spikey look. :)
ReplyDelete