My mom and I took some time to go through our cedar chests while I was in Utah. So many treasures in hers, so much junk in mine (why did I think it was important to keep my old mission shoes - sure, they are worn out beyond belief but I think it's just better if I tell people how worn they were instead of being able to show them). I ended up throwing a lot of things out.
We found all these little outfits for Willa, though, and couldn't resist putting her in them. I pack a bunch of clothes to bring back to Texas for both Willa and the new baby to wear. In fact, I actually found the little outfit that I came home from the hospital in. It is so sweet and little, Ryan doesn't know it, but I'm planning to bring the new baby home in it.
Here is one of the favorite items that we found. It is a little wool skirt and blazer that my mom's grandma made for my mom when she was a toddler! It was in great shape and so adorable and hilarious at the same time. Willa wore it to church on Sunday (excuse her facial expression, she was eating a cracker). There were so many amazing little homemade items like this outfit. A lot of little hand embroidered little dresses for the new baby and an adorable knitted coat and matching hat for Willa. I felt bad taking some of the stuff and using it, but my mom said that it was meant to be used. I like that attitude - with a few exceptions, things don't do any good sitting around being "saved". I'm glad that Willa will get to wear some clothes made by her great-great Grandma McCall.
This photo is unrelated and I already posted a similar one on Facebook, but I couldn't resist putting this better photo on the blog. My dad has been taking bagpipe lessons for the past couple of years and has finally built up the lung power to play some tunes on the real pipes now (not enough lung to get the drone going, but baby steps). For a long time, he practiced on the chanter, which is this pipe without the big wind bag :). He practiced his big bagpipe almost every evening outside, much to all the neighbors' delight - one person who lives a block away asked him if he knew who was playing the bagpipe over in our area.
One night, however, he decided to practice the much quieter chanter inside. Willa ran in to see him and immediately went to get her pink plastic princess recorder that she got in her stocking. They played together and she thought it was really great!

Hey, my mom and I did the same thing!! Crazy to see what was saved, but so much fun to go "shopping" through all the boxes of baby clothes at my house. I love all those vintage clothes and it's incredible how they were made to last and made to be loved. I can't wait to dress my little girl in things I and my mom and sisters wore. It'll be fun to know there is a kindred spirit across the country doing the same thing!
ReplyDelete