Sunday, July 1, 2012

Dessert for Breakfast

 My sister Carrie once told me that eating sugar cereal with whole milk was extremely delicious; she was telling the truth. Once Willa started drinking milk, we always had at least two gallons in the fridge. One gallon of whole milk for her, one of low-fat for Ryan and me. On the weekends, sometimes it would be three gallons because we'd have to buy an extra gallon on Saturday because we knew we would run out before Monday.

We got sick of it (and Ryan was relistening to "In Defense of Food") so we decided to just drink the whole milk. We actually only have milk with cereal, and sugar cereal on Sunday morning has become a little tradition.

Recently, Ryan went to the store to stock up on some sugar cereal options for Sunday. He tried a new bagged brand and it was a major disappointment. On closer inspection, the bag reveals that the cereal is "all natural".  Now, if I'm buying a gigantic bag of sugar cereal - do you think I'm the sort of person who cares if my cereal is "all natural" or not? NO! The people who care about that are eating All-Bran right now. Not that I have anything against eating naturally, I think it's a good plan. I just accept the fact that a giant sugar bomb is going to be bad for me whether it is natural or not.

Willa, unfortunately, has gotten a taste for the cereals as well. When she sees us pour a bowl she RUNS to our side for some scraps. Luckily, it's not too often that it happens. Today, however, she screamed for cereal, wouldn't eat Cheerios, wouldn't eat Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and finally ate Lucky Charms. She eventually gets her point across, but it will be easier and less wasteful when she can just say, "I want the cereal with the marshmallows."

Here is a picture of her scowling while eating a banana. I was going to post of photo of her begging for some of Ryan's cereal, but he was wearing his Mickey Mouse pajamas and said that that would be embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment