Sunday, January 8, 2012

Candy canes and Christmas presents

I was upstairs getting ready on Christmas morning and when I came downstairs Willa was crying profusely. While I was in the shower, Ryan gave my baby her own candy cane in order to get this shot under the Christmas tree. As you see, she looks perfectly adorable and happy right here, the crying came after when he tried to yoink that candy cane away from her. She was hysterical at losing that minty sweetness until we gave it back. I wanted to add something about corrupting her virgin mouth with a stick of pure cane sugar, but we're way beyond that these days. It's the perfect Christmas photo and we already have it up in a little ornament waiting to hang on the tree next year.

Ryan and I weren't going to get her anything for Christmas, but at the last minute I decided to order her a Lamaze Octopus for her off of Amazon. After we finished singing the songs at the library, they bring out a lot of really nice toys for the babies to play with. They have two of these blue Lamaze octopuses and Willa LOVES them. She kind of throws a tantrum if another baby has one and she doesn't really play with any of the other toys until they bring the octopuses out. (Octopuses, octopi?)

On Christmas day she got messed up on her naps and was REALLY fussy at one point. At that height of fussiness, I decided that we should unwrap the octopus to see if it cheered her up. It was a Christmas miracle! Actually, it was just fun to see her get excited about a Christmas gift since she really has no idea what Christmas is. She saw the octopus and started flapping her arms and making excited noises. It was very thrilling!

One of my harp students brought this present for Willa. His name is Bumpé and he has a book about his escapades. My student's mom was the executive production engineer or something like that on making him. He is Scandinavian and they actually don't even sell him in the US anymore. She said that she called the author of the book and asked him to send a Bumpé over especially for Willa! I opened the book and found that it is actually dedicated to my student's mother! Plus, the author signed this copy for us. He is a very soft and squishy stuffed animal and we were so thrilled and touched to get him. It was so thoughtful of this student's mom and a one-of-a-kind gift for Willa!

Willa got a lot of other really nice and fun things from grandparents and aunts and uncles, she is a lucky baby! 

2 comments:

  1. Love the Christmas morning picture! You are so on top of things to have it printed and in an ornament. I would say that is only because Willa's your first, but I didn't even have it together for my first. So you are just amazing! And Bumpe is adorable. I would love to read about his escapades. Perhaps a library around here has it? Happy New Year, (nee) Ms Knowles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should admit that Ryan's parents actually printed out the picture and put it in the ornament. They are on top of it!

    Christopher Carlson is the author. It's actually a creative ABCs book. For example, "Z - bumpés graze savanna grass 'midst zebras on the veldt, trekking the plains of he Serengeti, to the oasis of the Sahara's Tafilelt."

    Can't wait to teach her all the words in that one...

    ReplyDelete