Friday, June 10, 2011

Sisyphus

According to Greek mythology, Sisyphus was forced to roll a boulder up a mountain every day and watch it roll back down because he had attempted to trick the gods.  Agh, the futility, the inanity, the insanity!

Behold, the Sisyphean tasks of housewifery:

This list should also include making the bed and basically everything else. They never end!  You fold the same clothes today that you folded yesterday; you empty the same dishes today that you will empty tomorrow.

 Here's a funny story, once when we were dating Ryan asked me what my least favorite chore was.  I told him that I hated making my bed.  Months later somehow he mentioned that my bed probably wasn't made.  I was highly offended and asked him why he thought that and he replied it was because I hated making my bed.  I replied, "Ah yes, I hate making my bed, but I still make it every day!"  These days, I don't mind making my bed at all, funny how things change.

According to Camus, the myth of Sisyphus basically explains the hopelessness and pointlessness of man's existence.  When a person realizes this he can (according to Camus): kill himself, delude himself with religion, or be happy at the ridiculousness of it all.  This, my friends, is the French school of existentialism.  As a general rule, Ryan and I spurn post-modernism in all of its different permutations and this includes existentialism (sorry Cate); this is also why I have refused to use a capital E when writing it.  

I love that I get to be home to do these boring tasks! Turn on a little internet radio with Pandora and get 'em done! The best part is that I get to play with and attempt to snuggle with this little bug!  My little flower, becoming cuter and wiser every day.

For those of you who are still reading past the photos, here is a little treat.  I was finishing up grad school in Indiana when Ryan and I got married.  My friends there gave me a bridal shower; they were all grad students and very, very smart.  Here is one of the questions they asked Ryan beforehand, which I had to guess his answer to at the shower.  

"Would you prefer Cathryn became a freewheeling relativist or an unimaginative positivist?"

Ryan's response:
"Truth needs no imagination.  I could stop there but because Cathryn knows this is one of my favorite topics allow me to elaborate: First, a relativist is at best inconsistent and at worst contradictory... Second, I don't like Richard Rorty, Paul Feyerabend, or any so-called post-modernist.  Chances are, if Cathryn were a relativist I wouldn't like her none never neither (triple negative)."

That's actually only a smidgen of his response, but you get the idea.  Ryan REALLY hates post-modernists.  Actually, I think I got the question wrong at the shower - probably because I actually didn't understand any of it.

8 comments:

  1. I wish I could get excited about doing chores! I love the photos of Willa- especially the second one. She looks like a baby model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I don't think excited is the right term. Maybe I should clarify - it's just worth it and much better than being a secretary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been listening to books on tape to keep me looking forward to housework. June has that same jumper in the first photo. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy, more blogs, more pictures of cute baby willa!! Love you:) thanks for keeping me very entertained!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kirsten - I think I saw the photo of June on the swing with the jumper on. I love it! Books on tape is a good idea, I'm going to try that!

    Alyson - Love you and miss you, too! Can't wait to see you in August!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed, I am one to revel in the absurdity of so many tasks in this life. Turns out this could make me an existentialist (with or without a capital "E"). Thanks for the shout out! I'll keep loving that rock I push up the hill in the meantime, for me it is shelving books in the library BTW:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get the laundry thing. You think "How can I have 6 loads of laundry for just 2 people in a week." I sometimes listen to the scriptures on my mp3 player cause I feel a little more productive if I get more than one thing done at once. Luckily, Robbie helps with the laundry. It's the only house work he's allowed to do right now.

    ReplyDelete