Friday, December 19, 2014

Stake Music

Our Stake musical fireside was on Sunday and I played my harp. (It was a rough weekend for June to be sick since I had the stake fireside and also our ward's Christmas program that I was playing for. On Saturday, Ryan was setting up in the gym for the church party, I was playing for the choir rehearsal with a sick, feverish June on my lap as I played. Next year, no over-extending!)

I really felt the Spirit as I listened to the musical numbers. Our stake does a great job of putting this fireside together and there is a lot of talent. The only other stake fireside that rivals it was our stake in Bloomington, and I do have to say that Bloomington's would blow our one here out of the water. BUT, it's hardly a fair comparison since everyone participating in Bloomington was a grad student or a professor at one of the best music schools in the country. There was this amazing rendition of "Oh Holy Night" that left me in tears during the dress rehearsal and the real thing. I couldn't find it online, so I thought I'd leave you with two other great religious songs.

This one is "The Holy City" sung by Stanford Olsen and the MoTab. I love this song, I can't explain why.

This one is for my Latin friends. "Veni veni Emmanuel" by the King's Singers.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for those songs! I've always been swept up by longing for Jerusalem in that song. And I'll count myself a Latin friend. So lovely, that rendition. Pure. I've been teaching my boys Adeste Fideles for homeschool/the holidays. Maybe next year we'll reach for this one (one verse!).

    ReplyDelete