Saturday, November 1, 2014

The surgery

We had surgery Tuesday morning, nearly a week and a half ago. We had to be there at 6 am and the surgery was scheduled for 8. It was a little early, but nice because she wouldn't get too hungry beforehand since she couldn't have any food. 

I didn't tell her what we were going to do because I didn't think she would understand and it might have just scared her. I told her we were going to see the doctor and that they would look at her arm while she was asleep. It all went well beforehand, she didn't want to change into the surgical gown and cap, but the anesthesiologist gave her a little "cocktail" and it made her pretty compliant to do it all. I was worried she would freak out when they took her into the operating room. They didn't have a gown for me so I couldn't go in with her. The anesthesiologist was so great, though. He was young and had young kids. He reminded me of my friends who have just finished their residencies and are starting to practice. He was so good with her and when she was scared to go in, he picked her up really gently and carried her.

It was really quick, under and hour. We got in at the right time because the bones hadn't set too much and the doctor was able to insert the rods subcutaneously. The wake-up was really sad and hard. They say that kids have a really hard time coming out of anesthesia and it wasn't pleasant. She was so disoriented and crying. She also has GIANT adenoids and they had to keep putting the oxygen mask on her to keep her oxygen levels up. It was funny because the anesthesiologist kept telling me how big her tonsils are and blah, blah, blah and how we really needed to talk to our primary care physician and get a referral to an ENT, etc etc. She does have huge tonsils and snores loudly. I was planning to ask the doctor about it at her four-year check up, but with all the arm stuff and other doctor appointments, I decided to put the well visit off until she's feeling a little better.

Cutest little patient. Her hair is very fluffy since I pulled her straight from bed and into the car.

Recovery was rough the first day. They said the anesthesia takes about a day to fully leave the system. She was trying to watch a movie but kept crying because "my eyes won't stay open!" She was crying and saying her arm was hurting. I gave her some medicine but used the dosage that the ER recommended when she first broke her arm. She was still having a really hard time and I checked the doctor's prescription and he had written for her to have twice the dose! I felt so badly that I had let her go without getting enough drugs to cut the pain.


The other funny thing was that they put a pink cast on instead of purple. She told me, "But purple is my favorite color!" I told the doctor about it when we went in for a check up a week after surgery. He laughed and apologized and said the surgery center only had white and pink.

Our middle-school neighbor broke her arm the week after Willa. Matching casts! They will take the rods out six weeks after surgery and then she will have yet another cast for a few more weeks. I'll be glad to have this all over!



No comments:

Post a Comment