Sunday, September 14, 2014

Fjeldsteds and Le Reve

Our great friends the Fjeldsteds finally came to town. As a refresher, we were in the USC ward together. Paul and Ryan were counselors in the Bishopric and Courtney was my counselor in Relief Society. Sometime after becoming friends, we realized that Paul and Ryan not only had the same birthday, but had lived in the exact same apartment (not just building, but actual apartment) at BYU. There were some other similarities, and it all sealed the deal. There was something cosmic about our friendship :).

They were nice enough to come visit while I was in Utah a year ago, but this was the first time Ryan had seen them since we left Los Angeles. Paul is now an actual practicing dentist and came to town for some CE courses.

First of all, we went to a show. It was Courtney's idea and I'm soooo glad we did it. Ryan and I haven't been to one since we moved here. They are $$$$ and not quite in everyday budget. But, with friends coming to town, we thought a nice night out was just the ticket. I also called the box offices of several shows and most of them had discounts for Las Vegas locals. It made the cost go from $$$$ to just $$$. I had to take my photo ID in when I picked up the tickets, to prove our residency, but that was not a big deal.

We decided to see Le Reve because we'd heard it was AWESOME. It did not disappoint. It was amazing and I totally think it's worth the $$$ or even $$$$! Really, it was an experience and totally riveting the entire time. Vegas didn't get its title "Entertainment Capital of the World" for nothing. Ryan and I are still thinking about it. It was at The Wynn and was just breathtaking. If you have a chance, you should go see it.
On Saturday, Paul was finishing up his courses so Courtney checked out of the hotel and came to our house to spend a few hours. Unfortunately, June had come down with a terrible cold and fever on Thursday and was not too happy on Friday or Saturday. She is usually such a party girl, but for this visit I console myself that Courtney got to see June's passionate side at its peak :).

While the babies were both napping we took Willa and Parker to a splash pad. They had so much fun together and played straight for probably 90 minutes while we sat in the shade and chatted. It was awesome. Willa doesn't always warm up so easily and it was nice to see them play so well together. In the beginning, Willa was very nervous that Parker would take her princess things, then she asked me if he was actually a prince. In the end, they found out that they both loved Daniel Tiger and Willa let him play with Trolley. Willa also REALLY wanted Parker to ride in our car with us and showed me how we could put Parker's carseat right next to hers. It was sad to explain to her that he lived far away and wouldn't be able to play again anytime soon. It's so nice when children are young and play with girls or boys without really caring or noticing. They were good little buddies for the few hours that they got to play together. In fact, they played so well and hard that Willa was worn out and Courtney also got to witness a royal meltdown from the princess over dinner menu choices.
We were so happy to see great friends. It's strange to think that we didn't have any children at all when we knew each other at USC. That life seems so long ago (not having children to think about), but we just started right up where we left had left off and the four children between us seemed natural. I should note that baby Kate was such a pretty baby and also well-behaved. I've never seen a baby eat solids so willingly and happily! I'm very envious. June was a grump, but if you had heard her cough or her cracked voice saying, "mama, mama" then you would forgive her.

No comments:

Post a Comment