With the help of a lot of Miralax, I'm happy to report that Willa has started pooping regularly (as in almost every day) for the first time in her entire life. Happily, she has also started doing this on the potty. We caved and decided to reward her with an ice cream cone every time she pooped on the pot. At first she would talk about that reward without ever earning it. Once she actually earned it, she seems to have wised up. In fact, at lunchtime today she saw Ryan eating a treat. She asked for an ice cream cone and I replied that she had to poop on the potty. She suddenly said, "I have to poop!" then she ran into the bathroom and did her deed. Pooping on command is almost impossible, so it makes me wonder how much and how often she has been holding it in for the past three years of her life.
A few days ago, I was nursing June and Willa ran into the bathroom. I could hear her through the door saying, "I so brave" and "Huh?!" When nursing was over, I went over to inspect and she had done it all on her own! It was quite the event and I just had to laugh as I heard her coaching herself through it. Often when she's constipated and having a hard time pooping, I hold her hand while she cries and pushes it out and I tell her that she is really brave so I guess it must have sunk in!
I should also add that Willa has refused lately to eat vegetables. She will eat salad and raw carrots, but that is it. She won't eat them cooked with butter and bacon. She won't eat them raw with ranch dip. She won't eat them to get dessert. She won't eat them when nothing else is offered at mealtime. If we get her to try one bite she starts gagging on it and spits it out. So, she doesn't get dessert and she doesn't get seconds on her other favorite foods. I offer a lot of carrots during the day and she eats lots of fruit, and she drinks her smoothie in the morning that has spinach, but that is basically it. I've tried telling her that the vegetables will make her poop hurt less, and she replies by telling me that, "Remember, yesterday when I eat one pea?" I'm trying to back off right now before it becomes a huge battle and just offer her the other good stuff while maybe trying some recipes to sneak some green things into baked goods or soups. Hopefully this phase will pass soon!
June has made great crawling strides and is into everyone's business these days. Willa has taken a real interest in this fabulous dollhouse I found at a garage sale and saved to give her for Christmas. It's such an exciting dollhouse that June can't resist it either. You can imagine the kind of battles that are going on right now. Willa wants me to come play with her; however, June is not allowed into her room, but I can't go in without June... Lots of shouting and tantrums. Ryan has been really great to go in and play one-on-one with Willa when I've got June attached to me. I'm trying to do better to play with her while June is napping. And now, I will admit my shameful secret. Sometimes I dream about how easy it would be to have just one pleasant baby again. Think of all the naptime! Think of all the reading and relaxation I would get while baby just crawled around and explored by herself. Sometimes two isn't too hard, but I'll admit it's been a tough transition for me. At least they take their afternoon nap at the same time these days. Oh, that pleasant 90 minutes!
No comments:
Post a Comment