For the weekend, I have two great movies reviews for you.
Last week we watched Roller Boogie. A rich Beverly Hills girl defies her uptight parents by taking rollerskating lessons down in Venice Beach! Skaters band together to keep their roller disco open! If that description doesn't grab your attention, how about this catchphrase from the trailer: "He's the best skate in town, she's the hottest babe in town. Together, they're love on wheels."
The best part of this movie was seeing all the rollerskating on Venice Beach. Where beach cruisers now are, roller skates once were, a little bit of Angeleno history. According to Wikipedia, this was the "height of the quad rollerskating fad" (who knew?). If this trailer doesn't get you, I don't know what will.
The second film is called Blood and Chocolate and is a little more contemporary - filmed in 2007. I don't quite have the words to explain this movie, so I will reprint the Netflix description.
"After moving from America to Bucharest, Romania, a teenage werewolf finds herself torn between loyalty and love when she falls for a human and incurs the ire of the pack leader -- who's planning to make her his mate."
Okay, so that give you an idea about this movie. I was expecting a campy, tweeny-type movie. Maybe something for the Disney channel, starring Selena Gomez or Demi Lovato opposite Justin Bieber in high school. Definitely something with some sugar coating. Oh no, this movie was deadly serious. It was obvious that they had high ideals and wanted to really change the world with all the platitudes they threw in.
Ryan and I were both really grateful that the main love interest (an artist) has a line in the beginning of the movie telling us that his father was an Army Ranger who made sure he (the main love interest) knew how to defend himself. It makes it all the more believable when the artist is able to successfully take on a pack of werewolves with his skinny noodle arms and Bohemian/Hipster style. (I know there is a split-infinitive in there, but I believe that English allows split infinitives. It is only our forced melding of Latin grammar on this Germanic language that decries it.)
The other highlight for me was watching them transform into werewolves. It was the combination of beautiful swan dive and the Aurora Borealis emanating from the middle of their bodies that makes the whole process wildly beautiful (as only werewolves can be).
Here is the trailer. You can see that the movie, with its Romanian setting, is deadly serious. It's a bit long, but about 3/4 of the way through you are able to see some of the fantastic morphing which I described above.
I hope you take time to put these movies on your Netflix Queue. They were such gems, it didn't feel right that I shouldn't let others know about them.
Awesome, thanks! I will put these on our queue. We don't have anything other than Netflix (no TV, I mean) and sometimes I wonder if I'm missing something because I stick with the safe stuff too much. That Blood and Chocolate especially sounds like something I'll make Collin watch with me.
ReplyDeleteI will not.
ReplyDelete