Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Bluths

In case you haven't been following the news, Texas is in one of the worst heat waves/droughts of the state's existence.  I think out of the past 30 days, only one of them has been below 100 degrees.  It is hot hot HOT!  To make matters worse, our air conditioning has been on the fink for the past week.  Not completely kaputz, just enough for me to wonder if I'm going crazy because I would sit around getting hot and sweaty, then the maintenance man would come and tell me that it was working.

Yesterday, it gave it's last farewell and it ended with a bang!  I finally decided that I was NOT going crazy.  What was crazy, was sitting around this extra roomy steam room thinking that my air conditioning was actually working.  After several phone calls, waiting, and nothing - I lost it, marched down to the office and yelled at them.  Well, not quite yelled, but my exasperation showed... or maybe it was my tomato-red face from sitting in a sauna all day?!! I also played the baby card, "My baby is crying because it's so hot!"  This was actually true, she kept waking up from her nap with fitful cries and then fall back asleep; she was only in a diaper and so sweaty.

These people are idiots, but they do respond to intimidation quite well.  A maintenance man came right over, looked at it, and determined that something was broken.  Uh Doy!  Of course they didn't have the part and wouldn't be able to fix it until the next day.  If I had been thinking clearly and not in a heat-induced coma, I might have argued that if they had been prompt with their service then there would have been time to get the part and fix it - so they better darn well fix it today!!  I didn't argue, I just stood there and they told me that they would give us a key to one of the apartment models that they show potential residents!

I think they thought this was a peace-offering because they mentioned that there were beds for us to sleep on there, but it was really quite strange.  The logistics of moving baby sleep stuff and ourselves across the entire complex seemed daunting enough for Ryan and me to see if we could cool off the apartment in the evening by opening all the windows and with excessive use of fans.  This often worked in Los Angeles, since in that land of milk and honey you can usually exist with neither AC nor heater.   Long story short, the apartment did not cool off and at 9 p.m. we trekked across the complex and set up camp.

It was a miserable time, the much touted beds were fakes and it was hard to get comfortable.  Plus, I was just annoyed.  The one saving grace was that I woke up that morning and realized that we were just like the Bluth family from Arrested Development!  We were sleeping in a model apartment!

The living room (see the never-nude in the bottom corner?)


Fake fruit getting washed in a colander

And again, the Never-Nude in all her glory!

I will also add that Willa McCall Daniels initials are W.M.D. - Weapon of Mass Destruction.  We were just like the Bluths!

6 comments:

  1. Mr. Al Roker reminds me daily of your suffering- so sorry!

    And I have to agree with you- the Bosch wins! I thought I loved my Kitchen Aid until I borrowed Brittany's Bosch. I was making a double recipe of cinnamon rolls with each. Kitchen Aid- fail. Bosch- complete success!

    AND, I had a dream about you and your mom last night- weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird! Well, you gave me the idea for the never-nude diaper. We must be channeling each other today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then should you find yourself in a monetary bind, just remember: "There's always money in the banana stand."

    Also, that diaper is amazing. My children will be little never nudes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is hilarious, and awesome.

    ...and this is what you get for moving to Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am dying right now. This is too funny. I absolutely love Arrested Development and this scenario is seriously so perfect haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So surreal - way to find some entertaining irony to enjoy. That is what the spice of life is made of:)

    ReplyDelete