Ryan and I occasionally watch the show Hoarders. We starting watching it because we were really getting desperate searching the Netflix watch instantly queue for something good and we thought it would be a rather light-hearted choice. Woah, ho ho! Were we ever wrong! Hoarders has got to be one of the most depressing shows on television. We set out for some good old-fashioned voyeurism and poking fun, and at the end of every episode we just end up feeling depressed and sorry for these people. Ryan claims that this show is making him more sympathetic to hoarders. It's so sad to see people who are sooo lonely that they become attached to stuff, which then drives away all other humans from them, which causes them to be more attached to their stuff.
Usually, this show makes us want to clean out our closets and do it fast! However, last week I had my own temptation to hoard when I experienced a wonderful little thing called GARAGE SALES!
Our neighborhood is very suburban and there are lots of young families - the perfect two ingredients for garage sales! Every weekend there are signs everywhere for garage sales. About two weeks ago I was out driving and on an impulse I followed a garage sale sign to see if I could find a walker for Willa. No walker, but two other really great, almost new toys that I knew she would really like! I grabbed those goodies up and swore that I would return to garage sales the next Saturday and get me that walker!
The next week came and I got up Saturday morning and started driving around looking for garage sales. These things are gold mines!! Now I understand why people go to these things! After just a few houses I found the perfect, almost new exersaucer for Willa! I also passed up two cribs, two swings, a jumper, and a million other things. With any luck, Willa will never own another brand-new item for the rest of her life :)!
This brings me to my next point. Garage sales must be like a drug for people who hoard! I came across a toy that had exactly the same function as a toy we already had at home. Plus, this toy at the garage sale was older, dirtier, more worn out, and just nastier than the one we already had. BUT, this toy was only a dollar!!! I seriously considered buying this gross, nasty toy because it was a "good deal"! Woah, I had to take a moment at the garage sale to think through things. And... I can't really think of how to end this train of thought except that I DIDN'T buy the toy and I still prefer throwing things out! Ryan used to dream about owning only 100 items. Sometimes it's fun to think of those mini-houses and how you would live in them. One knife, one fork, one pot, two pairs of pants, etc. No room to accumulate junk, everything there has a specific purpose.
On another note, our Costco coupons came in the mail today and I haven't even opened them yet! I used to love the day that these coupons came in the mail. When we moved to Texas, with all their talk of everything bigger and better, I thought there would be a Costco on every corner (a true paradise); however, there are only two Costcos in the entire Houston area! We have to drive 30-40 minutes and go through a toll road to get to one. Paying the toll, plus gas doesn't quite make it the great money-saver that it used to be. There are, however, Sam's Clubs everywhere. I hate Sam's Club! It's like the poor man's Costco. There is hardly any fresh produce and just aisles and aisles of candy and junk food. Sam's Club is to Costco what Walmart is to Target. No competition! You know how you can just walk through Costco or Target and feel refreshed and cheerful, yeah - not the same feeling at Sam's or Walmart. Here is the worst part! Sometimes I go to Sam's club for big stuff and immediately after go to Walmart to get some cheaper small groceries and I find out that the items I bought at Sam's are cheaper at Walmart. What the what?!! I mean, come on. Okay, I just hate Sam's Club! I'm trying to overcome my aversion and I still like getting cheap gas and buying diapers in bulk, but I miss my Costco.
I think my rant is over. Here is a cute picture of Willa from the other morning. Usually after she wakes up I will put her in some comfy lounge pants and a shirt and we will go out running. I used to wait for Ryan to come back (he would watch Willa while he got ready) but now I just want to get out before the sun comes out, so I've started using the stroller a lot more again. She's so cute. Don't you just love the fresh smell of baby in the morning? I love how soft and feathery her morning bedhead is.
I love your Costco/Sam's comparison and feel the same way! We are fortunate to have 2 Costcos to choose from...one near our house and one near my work. I'm so sorry for your frustration. I haven't shopped at Walmart since 2006 for the very reasons you mentioned...
ReplyDeleteLooking at this picture of your bonnie child, my mind is turned to the posibility that she is the Kwisatz Haderach.
ReplyDelete