Monday, April 6, 2015

Willa rides a bike!

Willa sure is having a lot of experiences lately! This past Wednesday she learned how to ride a bike. The Thalmans were coming our direction to see Kim's grandpa in the hospital so they dropped off the children and their bikes at our house. Willa has been asking for a bike "with pedals and no training wheels!" For quite some time and had even mentioned it earlier that morning. I have just put her off, thinking that we might get one for her fifth birthday in October.

Even when the Thalmans unloaded their bikes I didn't think Willa would try it, but then Kim plopped her on Bridgett's bike and the rest is history. She has been very steady on her strider balance bike for quite a while, so when Kim put her on the real thing she balanced fine but didn't realize that she needed to pedal. As soon as we told her (and kept reminding her) to pedal, then she was off. The first time with Kim, Kim wasn't really holding on to her, just touching for reassurance. On her second try I helped her, but again it was really just touching for reassurance and reminding her to pedal, I even took my hand off a second or two. On her third try, I let go and got out my phone to video it. She was a little stressed when I let go, but got really happy when she realized that she was doing it.


I texted Ryan the video and he replied, "What? Without me?!" It was almost without me too, it happened so fast! Ryan was excited to get home and Willa was more than excited to go out and show him what she could do. They spent some time out practicing together and by the end of the evening she could start up on her own, make turns, and was basically just biking laps up and down the street.

The Thalmans were leaving the next day for California, so they graciously left Bridgett's bike with us so that we could have something to practice on. The next morning, I put off a long-procrastinated trip to Savers. We took stuff to donate that had been sitting in the garage because they give you a 20% off coupon when you donate. I wasn't expecting much, but low and behold, there was one, small, purple bike there! It was $10, then 20% off :). It's definitely used and one of the pedals is a little broken, but I figured it would do us for a while. If it was really horrible, it was only $8 lost. We got home, took the training wheels off, pumped the tires up, and Willa was off! The bike still needs a tune-up from Rob, but it was worth $8.

Ryan came home during his lunch that day to ride with Willa. Hooray for living six minutes away from work! She was having the best time and still loves, loves, loves to ride her bike. I can't believe how steady she is! She's actually much steadier than Bridgett, who has been riding for a few weeks, but learned from training wheels. I was 100% convinced on using a balance bike before, but now I'm 150% convinced, if that's even possible. Learning to ride was a total joy, no tears, no falls, no frustrations. It made it the happy experience that we all hoped to have when we were little but that we never did because we all had training wheels first. It was such a difference to have her hop on that bike and already balance it, whereas with training wheels once you take the trainers off, you still have to learn to balance and ride it.

This is a video from the second day when Ryan came home during lunch. You can see how steady she is!

Ryan and I were just so happy for her. We both remember when we first learned how to ride a bike. It's a seminal experience of childhood and she's had it and it was positive! It's also so strange to us that she could be making memories right now that she will actually remember. So, three cheers for Willa and three cheers for balance bikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment