I don't want to forget Willa's stage right now and the funny things she does.
An oft repeated phrase is "How am I ever to...?" For example, "How am I ever to put my clothes on?" It's so funny and sounds so formal. I have no idea where she picked it up.
Yesterday, she was giving Ryan a big hug and said, "You're such a big girl daddy." I think she picked up the phrase "big girl" because I hug her and tell her that she is a big girl. So, daddy must be a "big girl daddy" if he is being good.
She also tells me that she is a "little big kid" and then she runs over to stand next to me so she can measure herself and says, "Nope, not as big as mommy yet, I still little." Ryan was reading her a book about giving up your pacifier and she responded that she wasn't as big as mommy, so she could still keep her pacifier.
She loves to wear headbands on Sunday and for some reason, thinks that a headband is a Sunday prerequisite. We haven't ever had a lot of headbands and the ones we had were kind of broken. I finally went to Target the other day specifically to buy some new ones and also to get her some bigger hair elastics since the plastic ones aren't cutting it anymore. It's strange for me to have to make shopping goals and trips like that. She really did need them!
She HATES to wear anything with buttons, even if the buttons are in the back and she can't feel or see them, she still has a fit about putting it on. Usually, I have to bribe her with candy if I really want her to wear something. She also mainly only likes to wear soft knit fabrics, no poplin or crisp cotton. I looked all around and found some soft knit rompers from Gap for the summer months. I bought them without realizing that they had three buttons on the shoulder!!! It's an ordeal if I want her to wear them. I went to Target this week and they had a few knit rompers with no buttons. I showed them to her and asked if she wanted one print and she said no. We looked at two other prints and she said yes. So, we got two of those and she put them on without complaint, except the straps of one of the rompers hits the wrong place on her shoulder so now she doesn't want to wear it. She's finicky!
I know if I bought all character clothes that she would wear them all without complaint, but I just don't want to. I'm also trying to buy her a little more durable clothes instead of just Target. I can really tell the nicer clothes that have been handed down from Claire to Willa to June. Some of them still look really great, so stretching, no fading, no fabric pills. I'd like to buy Willa similar high quality items so that they'll still look good for June.
Willa finally likes taking a shower and is getting braver in all areas of life. I ordered her some prescription sunglasses from the same place where we got her first pair of glasses in Houston. We got her some sweet Wayfarers. Unfortunately, they are pretty big on her. I'm disappointed because that place is usually so good. I thought they would have checked her past measurements with the Raybans and known if they would have fit or not. The good news is that they are quality and have a lifetime warranty. So, we will have MANY years of these sunglasses and can easily replace the lenses if her prescription changes. It's just so darn bright in Las Vegas!
Willa goes potty before her nap and likes to leave her pants off while she naps. So she either naps in a t-shirt and underwear, or just underwear if she was wearing a romper. The other afternoon she went to get dressed after playing in the kiddie pool. Since getting her clothed is usually a huge battle, I decided to let this one go. If you can't tell from the blurry picture, she put the romper on first and then pulled up her underpants on top.
She has been a lot friendlier with June. Sometimes in the afternoons or mornings, she will play and be silly with her. Here, she wanted to sit in the same chair. She has even voluntarily bathed with June twice! After some June time, she usually needs her space to decompress and often asks me to take June to the other room.
Yesterday she started holding June's hand and walking with her. Here is a picture from this morning. Note the nightgown and church shoes. I have a couple of videos of them walking together, but only a mother would be interested. Also, it's a bit terrifying to have them walk together because Willa walks a little faster and tries to pull June up by the hand if June falls. We're moments away from nursemaid elbow.




So much personality, this one! I love it! I love reading anecdotes and seeing great pictures of all the goings on of toddlerhood done right. You're doing good, mama.
ReplyDeleteAnd about those high quality clothes--I agree! I've gotten such nice handmedowns from some people and have come to realize that if you pay more (in some cases) you get more for that money. I'm grateful that so far I haven't had to shell out too much to clothe my kids (though not always in the "style" I'd have chosen perhaps). Those days are quickly coming to an end. It seems like the older they get the harder they wear those clothes so there just aren't handmedowns available! Have you ever done zulilly? I've done one or two things on there and been pretty happy with the cost and quality.